Guilty Pleasures: Music

Tabors-039_1_2Ok, so it’s time for a little honesty. Let’s put it out there for all the world to see, or at least the folks who read my blog to see. I want to pose a question to you and I want to see how many people have the guts to be totally honest. PLEASE ANSWER IN THE COMMENT SECTION. Here we go.

You often hear the term in our culture “guilty pleasure.” In an admittedly Michael Scott sort of moment, Wikipedia defines guilty pleasure this way: “A guilty pleasure is something one considers pleasurable despite feeling guilt for enjoying it.[1] Often, the “guilt” involved is simply fear of others discovering one’s lowbrow or otherwise embarrassing tastes, rather than actual moral guilt. Fashion, music,[2] and food can be examples of guilty pleasures.[3]

So that is what I’m after. What music do you listen to that would be defined as a “guilty pleasure”? I know you have one….picture yourself in the car alone and a certain song comes on the radio….you turn it up and sing with all your might hoping that nobody notices right??

So let’s have them down in the Comment section. Time to ‘fess up! I think you will probably be very, very surprised to find out that you are not alone!

Ground Rules
1. This is a safe place so you can feel completely free to be honest. The more honest you are the better this will work.
2. No cracking on other peoples comments, just keep your eyes on your own back yard.

Long ago I promised myself to never ask something of someone that I was not willing to do myself. I could lob a softball out there, like Barry Manilow, but most of you probably already know that one! So, here it goes. I actually have 3 and here they are in no particular order:
1. The Carpenters
2. Dan Fogelberg
3. Katy Perry

Now I have bared my soul. Feels oddly freeing! Let’s hear yours…..

Comments
12 Responses to “Guilty Pleasures: Music”
  1. Marc Doades says:

Gritty, painful metal.
    Disturbed
    Some Mudvayne
    godsmack

2. Natalie Roehling says:

Culture Club
    Statler Brothers
    Oak Ridge Boys

3. Barry Manilow
    Meat Loaf
    ABBA

I’m so ashamed…

4. Liz Hayes says:

Toto – Have seen them 2 times in concert and would go again..

Rush -I can listen to “Tom Sawyer” all day! Go figure…people are surprised when I know all of the lyrics to the songs.. and I have been to see them 2 times…I am one of the few people NOT playing air guitar..and one of the few girls period..

Barry White – what can I say – I am never going to give him up!ha-ha!
    and… Barry Manilow goes without saying…

5. Chris Lathrop says:

Pink Floyd-Love the music.

Harry Chapin-He was such a great story teller.

Brooks and Dunn-They put on a good show!

6. Linda Oldham says:

Wow! Only 3??
    1. John Denver
    2. Barry Manilow
    3. a disturbingly large number of Dr. Demento offerings

runners up would be Backstreet Boys (I was brought over to the dark side by my then teenage daughter)
    & The Monkees

7. Kim Tabor says:

Ok, here we go. I can’t keep it to just 3.

1. Nickelback
    2. Kid Rock
    3. ABBA
    4. Aerosmith – especially DREAM ON

I know, strange combo. I love all types of music. I’m really a 70’s music junkie and that includes Disco! LOVE THE BEE GEES. It’s funny how different my list is compared to my husband’s! How do we listen to music together?! 🙂

8. Mary Houser says:

Andrea Bocelli
    Phantom of the Opera soundtrack (you can really sing out loud to this one!)
    The Beatles
    Barbra Stresand
    Journey

It is hard to keep it to three, the list could go on and on.

9. Johnette Cruz Harvey says:

so bad….here we go!

NKOTB- actually going to see them in concert this summer! yes!

Britney Spears, I know….can’t help it I think its the dancer in me!

Adema- there’s this one song that I LOVE working out to me…gets me pumped!

10. Randy Morris says:

In no particular order:

Aqualung – Jethro Tull
    Pink Floyd – Especially songs with killer David Gilmour guitar solos
    Moody Blues
    George Strait

11. Nicole Jonas says:

*ANYTHING 80’s rock, especially Journey – ok, so maybe that’s not embarassing. Everyone knows I love rock n’ roll!
    *A few select country songs (watch my friends run away screaming now)
    *A few select alternative rock/Christian rap songs (…and my parents are right behind them ^^)

12. Scott Wilder says:

Howard Jones (Probably the single reason I got into tech. Loved those walls of synths)
    Indigo Girls (A pity most christians won’t listen to their music. They’re GREAT songwriters)
    Level 42 (Brit Pop with the biggest baddest busiest player in pop music)
    Tom Jones (who can resist It’s Not Unusual)
    Prince (The guy is wierd but can write great songs and play some mean guitar)
    Rick Astley (His Cry for Help song still moves me)

Is it sad and pathetic to admit I listen to my own songs? I may not ever become a household name. But I really fell in love with the latest batch of tunes I wrote.